Tuesday, July 24, 2012

English woes

Claire can read pretty well, but after 15 months of English enrichment, I'm resigned to the fact that Claire reads by sight and will prob remain that way. I don't mind that much, but it means a lot more work for me coz she cannot employ both phonics and sight reading methods, so she will need a lot more exposure to materials and closer supervision.

To give her and her teacher some credit, she does try, but I know her first instinct is to read by sight, and she just stumbles badly whenever she sees new words. I hope she will improve as time goes by, otherwise I worry that she will suffer with spelling because she has to memorize everything. =(

And her grammar is nothing short of appalling, because she is so used to speaking in singlish. Ah, long process to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment